Over Under - 2023-2024 Game

That is actually just the stage from worlds last year so if thats a tease they have been teasing us for a while

11 Likes

bruh.

4 Likes

I guess its a squirrel meta now: climb trees and hide acorns

7 Likes

Acorns + triangles = ancles

2 Likes

We’ve got to get everyone to call the scoring elements this,

9 Likes

Yeah, I dont think I even have the capability to read that, Im just gonna stick with ancles…

3 Likes

No triballs thats what there called

1 Like

The elevation seemed really hard but then I realized that starstruck had something very similar.

2 Likes

Just make the lightest clawbot ever boom meta

3 Likes

Genuinely curious why it’s called a triball when it isn’t a ball and there isn’t three

1 Like

It’s called a triball because it’s too three to be a ball, but not three enough to split into three.

2 Likes

It’s a 3 sided shape with constant width so it acts as a ball would when rolled

1 Like

Actually its four sided because its kinda a pyramid

6 Likes

Actually it has near-constant width, not actual constant width.

1 Like

https://www.vexrobotics.com/documentation-release
They have to be trolling us

5 Likes

Does vrc hub get updated when the documentation is released or sometime later?

1 Like

I think it gets updated quite a while after the initial release, as it isn’t anywhere near as high a priority as many of the other things that come with every new game. IIRC the Spin Up manual was added something in late May or early June.

3 Likes

Robot Changes:

• string can now be over 1/8" thick
  • Looks like we can now use nylon and steel screws again
  • 5.5w motors now legal

Scoring requirements:

• put triballs under goals
  • quickly navigate field- can only hold one ball, need to take advantage of opportunities such as an opponent double-zoning to quickly descore their goal
  • lift triballs over barrier
  • hang

Design thoughts:

• 6 motor tank drive, probably 300 on 4" wheels- want to be able to drive over the center bar.
  • Probably a roller intake for triballs, similar to what is shown on the hero bot in the reveal- seems like a pretty efficient way to intake them. Can have a pneumatic cylinder to lift the end 3" up to lift the objects over the barrier.
  • Match load mechanism- I am envisioning a catapult that launches them under the goal or at least close to the goal, if that can be done reliably. Would be super effective to continuously launch match loads then drive over and push them under the goal all at once.
  • Something to hang- Not sure about this yet, was considering something that hooks onto the top of the hanging bar cap like in starstruck but that isn’t legal. Would be nice to do a pto from drive and switch ~4 motors from drive to hanging lift, depending on motor allocations
  • descoring mechanism- I’m thinking big stick that unfolds to max expansion limit pneumatically, can be retracted and only used when the other alliance is double-zoning
  • possibly plow with wedge for scoring- I did not notice a part in the game manual that states that only one triball can be pushed, so perhaps the movement of multiple can be controlled with a plow, and a slight wedge at the front so that triballs can be pushed over the barrier onto your opponents side.

Strategy thoughts:

• Strategy will be very important this game.
  • I’m thinking of something where one robot from one alliance sits at the preload stations and launches the triballs across to the other side, and the other scores them in the goal. efficient scoring without needing to double-zone
  • driving over the barrier is important due to how easy it would be to block robots that can’t by sitting in front of the openings on the side.
6 Likes

Looking at the game manual that bar is 2.88 inches high, how viable is it that you’d be able to drive over that, even on 4 inch wheels?

2 Likes
  • Fling from loading zone to partner robot
  • Pass over the black center bar to partner robot
  • Other

0 voters

This is a disagreement we have as a team, what do you think will be more common.

1 Like