Encyclopedia of Mechanisms

Well since this new forum is supposed to be a wealth of knowledge, I’ll kick it off with my unofficial mechanism encyclopedia.

Inspired by FRC team 1678’s Golden Rule #3 “Steal from the best, invent the rest”, I thought I’d share a resource I put together for my team, FRC team 5985.

The Unofficial FRC Mechanism Encyclopedia is a resource to assist robotics teams in the ideation phase (first few days) of their season. The page is essentially a list of YouTube playlists each focusing on a game piece type (E.g. ball or cube) and a robot subsystem (E.g. drivetrain, intake or shooter). Each playlist has a notes section with a brief explanation of what is included.

You can access the Encyclopedia at:
www.projectb.net.au/resources/robot-mechanisms/

The mechanisms are sourced from a variety of robotics competitions, such as the FIRST Robotics Competition and VEX Robotics Competition, as well as real life applications. It allows for any team in any robotics competition to quickly access new ideas and sanity-check current designs against those that have been successful in previous years.
Using the Encyclopedia is extremely simple. Select the mechanism in which you’re interested, then select the playlist that best suits your requirements. For example, the Shooter section contains a link to playlists sorted by projectile size.

If you have any questions or suggestions feel free to contact me on here or email me at pbmechanisms@gmail.com

Good luck to everyone in their respective robotics competitions this year and the years coming!
Luin (Alum and Mentor of FRC team 5985 Project Bucephalus)

17 Likes