What is something you wish you knew before your first tournament?

Alright I made a thread similar to this a year or so ago on VF and people seemed to enjoy it so here it is again.
What is something you wish you knew before your first tournament and/or think new competitors should know before theirs?

8 Likes

Bring papper towels!

The amout of times I personly have spilled all over the pit is still luckly only both hands…

3 Likes

Expect everything to go wrong. Somehow your only batteries will end up not being charged for finals, and then your teammate will lose their safety glasses, you might not even pass inspection the first time, even though you were sure the robot fit into 18^3 last night.

Basically, prepare for the worst, and make sure you have everything you need to solve all the many problems that will happen. Bring extra building supplies, extra batteries, and anything else you even think about “will we need that?” because most of the time you will need it.

24 Likes

My first tournament was a month into me join my team so I couldn’t really prepare too much for the Vex aspect. One thing I wish I knew was how much time it would take. It was pretty much dawn to dusk, and very little breaks. I eventually got used to it, but the first year was dreadful for that. But being prepared Vex wise, I would follow what @Amanda said, that pretty much sums it up well.

1 Like

Come to finals on time, the match will start without you

8 Likes

BRING AN EXTENSION CORD!!! You never know where you will be set up, and you could be far from the nearest outlet. Bring an extension cord; it will save you lots of pain and trouble. Also, check to ensure your robot is in size multiple times the night before. We had some relatively close calls, and it can be super stressful. Make sure you get a good night’s sleep, as tournaments are pretty taxing, both physically and mentally.

10 Likes

Go talk to people outside your org. It will benefit you tremendously.

13 Likes

I can’t believe saying that, but I wish I joined FTC instead and never sent even a cent Tony’s way. :angry:

On the other hand, all those wonderful people I met along the way… :cry:

19 Likes

I wish I knew we had a tournament before the day of the tournament…

5 Likes

Make sure you practice driving a lot before the comp if you want to do well

2 Likes

That you aren’t forced to partner with your sister teams, and how alliance selection works. :skull:

5 Likes

… that in the IQ match, you’re supposed to cooperate with the other team on the field, not fight them.

7 Likes

Don’t drive your robot 10 minutes before a match, you’ll burn your motor out and have a really slow robot for the match with your alliance shouting at you.

1 Like

adding on to that, dont drive your robot in inspection, or at the queueing tables before matches. Along with killing your batteries ive seen too many robots drive off tables when people do this

5 Likes

how important comfortable shoes would be at an event :skull:

6 Likes

I just don’t wear shoes at events lmao. socks only

5 Likes

To make sure that your alliance charged their controller.

3 Likes

I wish I knew and talked to some of the other teams more, both before (online) and during the tournament. I spent two and a half years doing Vex before I really started talking to other teams very much, which was a big mistake.

1 Like

Run skills asap. The line gets ridiculous as the tournament goes on.

10 Likes

want to add to this, make sure your alliance’s battery is secured

5 Likes