Nonsensical Q and A answers continued

Hey I contributed to that one :raising_hand_man:
Took advantage of the ruling in hopes they would realize how poor it was, seems to have gone through

1 Like

Good for them. It’s inevitable that they’re going to make mistakes, so I’m glad they’re setting an example of admitting it and fixing the mistake and not just doubling down.

19 Likes

I recently read Q&A 1160 which asks about shooting discs into an opponent’s very full high goal in hopes of descoring some of their discs, which was ruled illegal. The logic on the ruling references SG5 and G17. The relevant point of SG5 is that robots aren’t allowed to vertically expand to touch either high goal and G17 prevents robots from using discs to accomplish illegal actions. To me, this seems to outlaw shooting discs at high goals altogether. Is there something I’m missing or has the GDC goofed again?

Eh, I think this is pretty well handled with their intent note and a basic amount of common sense

Robots may not contact the High Goal, Discs which are Scored in the High Goal, or the horizontal supporting structures directly underneath the High Goal. This rule applies at all times,
regardless of Alliance / High Goal color.

The intent of this rule is to prohibit Teams from using game objects as “gloves” to
loophole any rule that states “a Robot may not [do some action].” This rule is not
intended to be taken in its most extreme literal interpretation, where any interaction
between a Disc and a Robot needs to be scrutinized with the same intensity as if it were
a Robot.

The purpose of the rule is obviously to prevent you trying to shake discs loose. If you’re shooting a disc, you’re using that as a loophole of “I’m not touching the discs to descore them, this other disc I shot at it is”

If you extend this even further, if you shot a disc out of the field it could be an S2 violation, and shooting in general would be a G5 violation

14 Likes